Top 26 Online Resources to Study Programming in 2017
The learning of programming is becoming more accessible due to the continuous growth in the number of online resources that help everyone to do this.
- Benefits, such resources – in an unlimited quantity of knowledge, which they can give and in the high qualification of teachers.
- Downside – no one forces you to learn and the quality of the acquired knowledge depends only on how much effort you going to put.
So, Here is the list of the Top 26 Online Resources for programmers:
- If you need to quickly get acquainted with the basics of the new technology, then these courses are very useful and will help to quickly understand the new language. But the knowledge at the output will be shallow and after these courses, it is necessary to continue training.
- It all begins with HTML, CSS, Bootstrap and continues with tasks on basic JS functions, algorithm tasks, front-end projects. It is planned to launch the section about React. For communication, there is a chat in Gitter.
The idea is simple:
- You download the exercise in the language of your choice (mentioned above) with the client application exercise.io
- Add the solution to the site.
- Programmers from around the world will comment on what you did.
- You improve your code.
Thanks to this method of training, when you, as a beginner in programming, get feedback from experts, you can avoid getting stuck in training if you can not find the right solution. It also helps shy people or those who do not dare to ask questions, since there is no way to move on. Katrina Owen, creator of Exercism.io, noted that this type of training will help students at Jumpstart Labs in Denver, Colorado, complete the exercises.
- Learning streaming service LiveEdu.tv offers you unique tutorials for learning programming. What’s so special about LiveEdu.tv? The lessons are interactive, in real time you see the writing of the project and you can communicate with the teacher in a chat room, as well as stream records.
- Livedu.tv contains a huge library of recorded broadcasts for all kinds of programming languages and frameworks. Most of the content is available for free, you only need to register, there are paid projects, they are more structured and training, a monthly subscription will cost a 9.99/per month.
- On this site, you can find various training projects, for example: “Server implementation of a messenger”, “How to write a shortener of references to Node.js”. Thanks to a huge database of educational videos and projects, the site is suitable both for beginners and experienced professionals. And any specialist who meets the requirements can become a teacher and create his own teaching project.
- Pluralsight is one of the leaders in the development of interactive training courses for professional developers. Pluralsight offers subscriptions for individuals and companies valued at $ 29 per month. The following categories are available on the site: IT Ops, Software Development, Data Professional, Architecture and Construction, Manufacturing and Design, Business Professional, Information and Cyber Security.
- Video lectures with subtitles in combination with built-in tests and subsequent homework, based on the model “learn by doing.” Each lecture includes a built-in test to help students understand the proposed concepts and ideas.
- Nanodegree Plus programs are also available. The essence is that Udacity guarantees employment within 6 months after graduation or returns your money. Worth learning $ 299 / month. A big advantage – code review, and, very detailed. Also, the program includes: help in preparing summaries, accounts in GitHub a and LinkedIn, test interviews (with live people).
- To access free courses you need to register, access to paid courses Code School is possible only on the basis of a subscription, the price of which starts from $ 29 per month.
- Udemy is a platform for learning where you can be both a student and a teacher. Udemy offers a large number of courses in such applied areas as design, programming, web development. Among the teachers, you can meet Mark Zuckerberg and other giants of the IT industry. The price of courses for Udemy from $ 10 to $ 200, there are also free.
- Treehouse has over 600 video tutorials (on web design, web development, and development under iOS) that can be viewed for a monthly fee that starts at a $ 25/per month.
- Lynda.com is a veteran of the online education industry. Lynda.com is a paid online training service primarily in the direction of IT and design. The service was founded in 1995 and in the year of 2015 it was bought by Linkedin.
- Lynda works by subscription. Although some of the courses are available free of charge, the main share is available only after subscribing for a subscription starting at $ 19 / month. After payment, the user receives unlimited access to any courses in the Lynda database. To get acquainted with the functionality of Lynda, we offer a 10-day trial version, with full access to the entire library.
- This is an interactive compilation of programming tasks, solving which you stuff your skill in one or another language.
- Coursera is an educational platform that provides an opportunity to undergo online training in the world’s leading educational institutions. The project cooperates with universities, which publish and conduct in the system courses on various branches of knowledge.
- Students attend courses, communicate with fellow students, take tests and exams directly on the Coursera website. The project includes courses in physics, engineering disciplines, humanities and arts, medicine, biology, mathematics, computer science, economics, and business.
- Duration of the courses is about six to ten weeks with 1-2 hours of video lectures per week, the courses contain assignments, weekly exercises and sometimes a final project or exam. For $ 40 you can get a certificate from the university where you completed the course. At Coursera approximately 700 courses in various fields of activity.
- On the free account, you can learn the first 5 lessons of each course.
- A great place for people who want to learn how to create with the help of code. This free platform uses video lessons from experts covering many different topics from mathematics and physics to history and art history. Available applications for Android and iOS, which will give you the opportunity to take platform courses anywhere.
- The site was created by StackOverflow developer. The resource is a tour of the best guides on the Internet, it includes interactive classes, videos, and reading materials. Bento is free and submits the material in an absolutely logical sequence.
- Bloc helps to master the professions of UI / UX-designer and developer, in order to create “modern adaptive websites and mobile applications.” The service is not quite the usual system of payment: for a fixed amount of $ 3,999 you can choose one of three options for the load – 3 months for 40 hours a week, 4.5 months for 25-30 hours and 9 months for 12-15 hours. So training can be combined with study elsewhere or even work.
- CheckIO is a resource for learning and practicing the Python programming language. Training is presented in the form of a game in which each user needs to more or less use his knowledge. For example, the first stage of learning “Learning” is a chain of tasks from easy to complex. Moreover, in the description of the problem itself, there are all reference data for its solution.
- Codingame.com is a service for learning various programming languages in a game form. In each case, the player is required to solve a particular problem or fix another’s code.
- The highlight of our list is Codebabes.com. All the video lessons on this Internet resource are young girls. The specificity of such lessons is that as the material becomes more complicated, the girls … undress. In each section, there are several videos for training. On the video, the girl who guides the course, for a few minutes, explains to the user one of the topics of any block.
- MIT OpenCourseWare is a special resource of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where many training courses, lectures, and seminars are collected. OpenCourseWare contains materials of more than 2,000 courses. The site has audio and video courses, search by catalog, by course number, by discipline, all subjects and the degree of complexity are divided into separate headings.
- With this resource, you can view interactive presentations that explain how to write programs from scratch. You not only see the code writing, but you can also understand what changes in the final product each line of code makes.
- The project is an online collection of documents from various sources that are dedicated to web development and are suitable for people with any level of preparation: from experts to students and beginners. MDN is a wiki, which means that any person can edit it and correct inaccuracies.
- HTML5Rocks is a collection of free lessons to help solve various problems. The video is often accompanied by various written instructions, diagrams, and in the comments, you can find useful explanations.
- Useful educational portal with an audience of about 5 million users. A large number of free training programs in various areas of programming, as well as paid courses. More than 600 video courses and e-books.
- Code4startup.com – learning various programming languages and frameworks on examples of successful start-ups. For example, Code4Startup suggests to study AngularJS and FireBase creating a clone TaskRabbit, and HTML 5, CSS and jQuery copying Airbnb (then it will be possible to create a hybrid mobile application for the service).